Hello and welcome to our comprehensive guide on mesothelioma lawyers in NJ. In this article, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know about mesothelioma and how to find the best lawyer in New Jersey to represent your case. As a rare and deadly form of cancer, mesothelioma can be overwhelming and confusing. This guide will help you understand your legal rights and options so you can make informed decisions about your health and future. Let’s get started!
What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that develops in the lining of the lungs, abdomen, or heart. It is caused by exposure to asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral that was commonly used in building materials, insulation, and industrial products from the 1940s to the 1980s. Asbestos fibers can be inhaled or ingested and become lodged in the body, leading to inflammation, scarring, and eventually cancer.
There are several types of mesothelioma, including:
|Develops in the lining of the lungs and is the most common form of mesothelioma.
|Develops in the lining of the abdomen and accounts for about 20% of mesothelioma cases.
|Develops in the lining of the heart and is the rarest form of mesothelioma.
How is Mesothelioma Diagnosed?
Mesothelioma can be difficult to diagnose because its symptoms are similar to those of other respiratory conditions, such as asthma or pneumonia. If you have been exposed to asbestos and are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you should see a doctor as soon as possible:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing up blood
- Weight loss
To diagnose mesothelioma, your doctor may perform a biopsy, which involves removing a small sample of tissue for examination under a microscope. They may also order imaging tests, such as X-rays or CT scans, to look for signs of cancer.
What are Your Legal Rights as a Mesothelioma Patient?
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be eligible for compensation from the companies that exposed you to asbestos. This can include reimbursement for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To pursue a mesothelioma lawsuit, you will need to hire a mesothelioma lawyer who has experience handling these types of cases.
What Should You Look for in a Mesothelioma Lawyer?
When choosing a mesothelioma lawyer in NJ, there are several factors to consider:
- Experience: Look for a lawyer who has successfully handled mesothelioma cases in the past.
- Knowledge: Your lawyer should have a deep understanding of asbestos exposure and mesothelioma treatment options.
- Compassion: Mesothelioma can be an emotional and difficult journey, so it’s important to work with a lawyer who understands the human element of your case.
- Communication: Your lawyer should keep you informed throughout the legal process and be available to answer any questions you may have.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Mesothelioma Lawyer?
Most mesothelioma lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means they only get paid if you receive compensation from your case. Typically, the fee is a percentage of the total amount awarded. This can range from 25% to 40%, depending on the complexity of your case and the experience of your lawyer.
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
The length of time it takes to settle a mesothelioma lawsuit varies depending on the specifics of your case. In general, mesothelioma lawsuits can take anywhere from several months to several years to settle. Your lawyer will be able to give you a better estimate based on the details of your case.
Do You Have to Go to Court for a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
Not necessarily. Many mesothelioma cases are settled out of court through negotiations with the companies responsible for the asbestos exposure. However, if a settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer may need to take your case to trial.
What Should You Expect During a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
During a mesothelioma lawsuit, you can expect the following:
- Discovery: Both sides exchange information and evidence.
- Depositions: You and other witnesses may be asked to testify under oath.
- Settlement negotiations: Your lawyer will try to negotiate a settlement with the companies responsible for your exposure.
- Trial: If a settlement cannot be reached, your case will go to trial.
- Judgment: If you win your case, you will receive a judgment awarding you compensation.
What Should You Do if You Have Been Diagnosed with Mesothelioma?
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, your first priority should be your health. Follow your doctor’s recommendations for treatment and inform your family and loved ones of your diagnosis. Once you are able, you should contact a mesothelioma lawyer to discuss your legal rights and options.
What Should You Not Do if You Have Been Diagnosed with Mesothelioma?
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, there are a few things you should avoid:
- Do not wait to take action: Mesothelioma cases have a statute of limitations, which means you only have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit.
- Do not sign anything without consulting your lawyer: Settlement offers may seem tempting, but they may not be in your best interest.
- Do not ignore your health: Mesothelioma can be a serious disease, so make sure to follow your doctor’s recommendations for treatment.
How Can You Find the Best Mesothelioma Lawyer in NJ?
To find the best mesothelioma lawyer in NJ, you should:
- Do your research: Look for lawyers who specialize in mesothelioma and have a track record of success.
- Ask for referrals: Talk to other mesothelioma patients or their families to see if they have worked with a lawyer they would recommend.
- Schedule consultations: Set up meetings with potential lawyers to discuss your case and see if you feel comfortable working with them.
What Questions Should You Ask a Mesothelioma Lawyer During Your Consultation?
During your consultation with a mesothelioma lawyer, you should ask the following questions:
- How many mesothelioma cases have you handled?
- What is your success rate in these cases?
- What is your approach to handling mesothelioma cases?
- What is your fee structure?
- How long do you think my case will take?
What Can You Expect from Your Mesothelioma Lawyer?
Your mesothelioma lawyer should:
- Keep you informed of any updates in your case
- Explain the legal process in detail
- Negotiate with the companies responsible for your exposure to asbestos
- Represent you in court, if necessary
What Compensation Can You Receive from a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
If you win your mesothelioma lawsuit, you may be eligible for compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the specifics of your case, such as the severity of your illness and the companies responsible for your exposure.
What Should You Do if You Think You Have Been Exposed to Asbestos?
If you think you have been exposed to asbestos, you should:
- Talk to your doctor: Let your doctor know about your potential exposure, even if you are not experiencing any symptoms.
- Get regular check-ups: Even if you are not experiencing any symptoms, it’s important to get regular check-ups so your doctor can monitor your health.
- Inform your employer: If you were exposed to asbestos at work, inform your employer so they can take steps to prevent future exposure.
Thank you for taking the time to read our guide on mesothelioma lawyers in NJ. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, it’s important to remember that you are not alone. There are legal resources available to help you get the compensation you deserve. We encourage you to do your research and find a mesothelioma lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected.